The twins turned 18-months* a couple of weeks ago and here is where we are in terms of a routine (I hate to call it a schedule b/c we certainly don't live by a clock...it's a routine in our house...the times are most certainly approximate):
- 7:00 - 7:30 - wake up - I never bring the kids out of their rooms before 7:00. This isn't to say that they don't wake up...they do. I just either give them a bink and they go back to sleep (not most mornings) or let them talk to each other.
- 8:00 - Breakfast...I will cook breakfast while they beg for water/food, run their lawn mowers or strollers around the house like crazy people, or ignore me and read their books (rare)! After they've finished eating or while they're just picking toward the end of their meal, I put some Sesam.e Street videos on the laptop. During this time, I can empty/fill the dishwasher, wipe down the counters, and get ready for whatever we're doing that day.
- 8:30 - 9:00 - Get dressed, play, vacuum (every single day...damn dog), and pack our bag for the activity of the day.
- 9:15 - 9:30 - Get jackets, shoes, and hats (if necessary) on. Get out of the house! There are a variety of activities that we can do on any given day. Here is what we are currently busying ourselves with: Kindermusik, playing with a friend, gym (kids go to daycare), library (although storytime is on hiatus at the moment), grocery shopping, BJ's, Target, Kohl's, and the mall (rare...only if we need a gift or it's Christmas time). Notice that most of these are places that I could spend money (bad), so I'm hoping to add the park and other outdoor activities in there really soon. I always bring our snack/drink with us so that we don't let tempers get the best of us. I usually forget my snack, so my temper is the pits...watch out for crazy Mama!
- 11:00 - 11:30 - Get home, get out of our jackets, collect sippy/snack cups from whiny babies, play, watch some TV (if whining is really bad), make lunch in sheer desperation to get them quiet.
- 12:00 - 12:30 - Lunch...I eat with the kids. I've started to notice that they have one meal that they eat really well at while the others aren't so good. Lunch is usually not one of our best as they are anxious to get out of those seats and onto something bigger and better. I do not show videos during lunch, but I will sing with them, make them laugh by acting ridiculous, and read books.
- 12:30 - 1:30 - Play, read books, change diapers, run around, get ready for naps.
- 1:30 - 3:30/4:00 - Nap - during this time I do nothing...I'm sure Husband is ready to kill me for this, but it's true. I do nothing. I have recently purchased things for Hailey's scrapbook, but have yet to construct even one page. I have even printed out some pictures from our trip to the beach last September, but nothing is adhered to a piece of paper...yet...I will work on this. I watch Days, catch up on blogging, research anything that I need to (gardening, material for tutoring, flights for upcoming trips). Nap time is sacred to me. Occasionally, I will fold a load of laundry...yuck.
- 4:00 - Kids wake up, we play in their room for a little while, come downstairs.
- 4:30 - Snack...I've started to give their afternoon snacks in little plastic bowls. It's too funny...as soon as I mention snack, they run into the living room, sit in front of the couch (because we don't eat on the couch...I'd have a freaking nervous breakdown), and wait for me to bring it in. I usually let them watch something on TV during this time too as they are being so good and it keeps them from feeding the damn dog. I have actually brainwashed them into thinking that it's a good idea to put their empty bowl in the sink when they're finished...I'll take it while I can!
- 5:30 - Dinner
- 6:00 - Finish dinner and run around like escaped convicts. Seriously, I'm pretty convinced that this is when they expend and majority of their energy...they run and run and run around the house. It's hysterical. It's become my favorite part of the day.
- 6:30 - Head upstairs for baths. Husband usually handles the baths. It's not my area of expertise. He's so much better at it and I just completely lose control and end up yelling...not the Mom I want to be. So, I avoid it like the plague. I usually end up putting laundry away or changing the crib sheets (yes, I'd rather change the crib sheets than give my kids a bath...I'm that bad at it)!
- 7:00 - Baths are finished and kids are put in PJ's, read to, chased around, groomed, and cuddled.
- 7:30 - Time for bed! The kids are still using binks (tsk, tsk) and they cannot get enough of their lovies. After we shut their door, we may have to go back in once if they throw Lala or Louie (their lovies) out of the cribs in sheer desperation to get our attention, but it's really not too bad.
That's all...that's all she wrote...that is our day in a nutshell. Have a great day!
* When can I stop counting their age in months??? It's getting on my nerves!