I would see families out to dinner and swear all sorts of things...my kids would sit properly, my kids would not play their DS at dinner, my kids would not get up and walk around, my kids would not interrupt our dining pleasure.
What the hell was wrong with me??? Who did I think I was?
How in the world did I think I could make all of these grand predictions when I had no idea what I was in for?
Granted, I still think that we are doing the right thing by taking them out. I know there are people who swear that they're not going out until their kids understand how to act. I can't do that...we must live life, right?
However, I totally get the need (and yes, sometimes it is a need) for them to do something so that we parents can shovel food down our throats before WWIII commences!!!
We went out to dinner at a restaurant for BFF's birthday...total surprise and family and friends were there. Matt was still not feeling well and therefore, made it next to impossible to have an enjoyable time. Here is a list of things we used to keep him (and then Hailey because you can't have one without the other in our house) occupied:
- 3-5 walks around the parking lot of the restaurant (with Husband b/c I'm a gimp...I sat quietly at the table by myself until someone interrupted and talked to me)
- Silverware (ooooh...forks are so pointy! Watch your eye! Blah...it kept him quiet)
- Sitting with other family members (God love them)
- Cell phones (God knows who they called...and no one cares at this point? Just let me get through the cutting of the cake so we can race to the car)
- Videos on the cell phones
- Napkins (poor waitresses)
Disclaimer: Things may not always be this bad. Matt was still getting over his virus and it had been a rough day all around. We were DONE!!!