Maybe it's not the most beautiful word in the English language, but it works for me. I tried to look for alternates, but the only one that really spoke to me was "fulfill."
It's still not what I'm going for though.
This year, I want to complete things. I want to finish things all the way...not halfway, not almost, not "to be continued." I want to finish.
I don't want to start a project and not finish.
I don't want to start an email to be continued later.
I don't want to start a book, then another, then another one...never really having finished the first.
Husband has said this is a bad habit of mine. A lot of things that I set out to do only make it to the halfway point. I've tried needlepoint, scrapbooking, tennis, and letter writing (what in the world?). However, I have never carried any of these projects all the way through. I don't know if it's lack of time, constantly being interrupted by the Crazies, or life in general.
Some of those things are unavoidable...I get that. However, starting reasonable projects is a good idea, right? Yes, it only took me 37 years to learn that I shouldn't get in over my head.
I will choose smaller projects this year or break larger ones into manageable parts.
The one thing I want to stay away from is the antonyms that you see up there. I don't want to "forget, give up, halt, ignore, neglect, or stop" anything.
So, here are the projects that I am taking on this year:
- Complete the Crazies' rooms. There is no reason why Hailey is sleeping under Matt's initials and why Matt's room is still a beach theme. This is a big project which can be broken into smaller pieces.
- I want to complete reorganizing the china cabinet (I already did this today, but figured it was worth mentioning as I've been trying to get at it for 6 months).
- I want to complete losing the baby weight...yes, it's just 7 pounds, but I want it off...it's been almost 3.5 years for God's sake.
- I want to complete hanging pictures/artwork in my home. We've lived here for 5 years...it's about time (this is another one that needs to be broken into smaller pieces. I will also need help as there is no fucking way you are going to see me teetering on the Little Giant ladder in our 2-story hallway).
- I want to complete my journal.
- I will complete a photo-a-day challenge (I'm thinking about this one).
- Completely get rid of things that I think I'll use "someday." That day isn't coming any time soon and until then, this shit that lays around my house is toxic to my spirit (deep, aren't I?).
- I want to have a complete weekend away with Husband. That means we leave on a Friday and return on a Sunday. This is also going to require some help as I am not allowed to leave Dog in charge.
I am the only person who can complete most of these though...at least complete the planning and implementation, so it's up to me.
What is YOUR word?