Some mornings are a total blur of
- getting dressed,
- brushing teeth,
- pleading for a special shirt,
- rushing to make breakfast,
- keeping an eye on the clock,
- begging for shoes and socks,
- tossing bags in the car,
- ticking things off on my mental list,
- asking to "watch out" for dog droppings,
- strapping in,
- backing out,
- tumbling out into the parking lot,
- running down the sidewalk,
- reminding not to run in once we're in school,
- kissing and hugging goodbye,
- and sighing with relief for a moment's peace.
And the other mornings are a lovely focus of
- getting up early enough to have my coffee Crazy-free,
- hearing Matt repeatedly calling for Daddy and knowing that I'll ignore him until he calls me (not in a mean way...it's a little game we play),
- listening to Hailey turn on her light, run to open her door, and scamper back under the covers before the sheets grow cold,
- hearing Matt play in his room with his dinosaur flashlight,
- having him ask me if he can come downstairs, but instantly changing his mind when he sees his sister's door open,
- tearing up when she starts to tell him about her dreams (of course she talks about the "orange part" because she knows it will make him happy,
- feeling proud when he asks her to read him a story,
- giggling when they distort the story of Pocahontas beyond recognition,
- and knowing that this morning will be a little slower.
I love Wednesdays.
What is your best day?