Ummm...Please Don't Steal My Craziness...Okay? Thanks!

People I Love...follow along if you're so inclined!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

So, you guys are pretty freaking awesome

Thank you so much for your support on yesterday's post.  I really appreciate it and it's nice to know I'm not alone in what can sometimes be described as "this shitty world."

Anyway, an email went out yesterday to member of the faculty at my old school that the transfer was indeed hired.  Not surprising to me as I found out on Friday from another former colleague, but whatever...it makes it official.

I have no idea what the circumstances were, but I did send an email to the principal once again thanking him for his time, asking for feedback, and wishing him a good year.

It was a hard email to write because I feel that I would have done well in that position, but who knows?

We shall see what he says.

The thorn that is still sticking in my side is the fact that I STILL have not heard from Human Resources.  I sent a "checking in" email on Friday and haven't heard back.  So, I'm going to call him today and try to get him to discuss what else he has on the horizon.  I realize that he doesn't work for me and is in no way responsible for getting me a job this year, but I also find it completely inappropriate and unprofessional that he didn't alert me to the fact that I didn't get a position.  I find this even more unprofessional because I had to find out from former colleagues instead of through "proper" channels. 

Is this seriously how the world works these days???

It's horrific and downright RUDE!

Anyway, here are my contingency plans:

1.  Continue to hope that this county will hire me.  I mean, after all, if the person selected at my old school was a transfer, then there is an opening at her old school, right?  I'm going to directly ask about that position (even though it's a horrific commute).

2.  I am meeting with Godd.ard to see how much it would be for the Crazies to attend a program that is not full day.  They have a 9-1 program which would be a longer day than they're used to, but may save us some $$$.

3.  I am going to continue my tutoring relationships and see if I can take them into the year.  I currently have NINE students and that's not too shabby.  They were all bummed that they'd be losing me, so I hope I can keep things together.  Twelve students would be ideal and I have room for fifteen in total.  Tutoring can make this work if I can get a full load.

4.  I need to keep my head up.  I am a good teacher.  I may not be as versed in the stupid Common Core as some, but I can teach dammit!!!  Someone will see that!

5.  One more year at home isn't going to kill me.  Yes, I'm bored out of my skull most days, but it does make things easier for the typical crap...shopping, appointments, errands, all of that other shit that is really difficult for working moms.

6.  Call the dude at Human Resources and find out what's going on.  At this point, I think I can play the "squeaky wheel" part for a bit and really needle him to find out what is still out there.  I think I deserve an explanation and I definitely think I should call him out on the unprofessional behavior that led to me finding out about the job from former colleagues.  Sheesh!!!  TOTALLY RUDE!!!

So, that's that for now.  I SO appreciate your feedback yesterday and wish that we weren't all in similar positions.  It's ridiculous!!!

Now I will prepare for the first weekend away with just Husband since 2010 (right before I dislocated my patella...remember that???).  I am excited and I don't think we'll know what to do with ourselves.  We're heading to the Jersey Shore where we first met, so it's going to be just lovely.  Can't wait!!!

What are you guys doing this weekend?

9 comments:

Amy said...

I apologize, I did not see your post yesterday. In addition, often I leave a comment, but it doesn't appear.

Play dumb when you call up the HR guy and ask him if a decision has been made. Put him on the spot. I agree, he did not handle it professionally.

kliddick said...

You definitely should directly ask the HR guy about the positions, but unfortunately, it's pretty standard for them to NIT notify you if you didn't get a position. It is definitely rude, but it happens like that everywhere. Good luck. It s still early, someone may quit, or maybe there is a short term maternity leave position you can take to get your foot back in the door and show your stuff!

strongblonde said...

actually...i think i need tutoring! i'm already freaking out about learning new math. maybe we could set something up via skype? :)

where are you going??? my friends swear by savage river for times like these!!!

oh! and would you believe that B and i have NEVER been away from the kids together since they've been born??? that's almost four years! wtf!

Hillary said...

Unfortunately, you can't count on the fact that there's a position open at the transferred teacher's old school, at least not if she was involuntarily transferred. Then again, I can't see any schools getting rid of math teachers right now if they could help it, but you never know!

And yes, definitely call HR. Obviously things are not running the way they should (in more ways than one), and it can never hurt to reach out and get some info.

Natasha Carneiro said...

Ai, seems like that "just ignore people" nonsense is everywhere. I would also ask about the other position, what's the worst thing that could happen, they could just say no, OR call you up for an interview. Hang in there, something good is going to happen!

Lisa said...

I didn't see your post yesterday either. You are fucking awesome, and anyone who doesn't think so is a complete moron.

WicketsMom said...

Unfortunately it seems to be common practice to not notify you if you didn't get a position. It sucks and is rude, but that's the way it is most of the time.

Would getting on the list to substitute help out? Could get you back into the classroom, familiar with the common core, and establish contacts for when a permanent (or long-term temporary) position comes up.

We are taking our baseball-crazed six year old to Atlanta for his (and my) first major league baseball game this weekend! So excited! Then heading down to the Alabama gulf coast for a few days, and ending the week with a day camp at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab.

Kelly said...

Which beach? We are in Avalon now!

Barbara Manatee said...

Perfect timing for a weekend away! Just what you need, right? Hope you have a great time!

Considering the person that got the position transferred, its not like they 'choose' that person over you - they have to honor in-district transfers before hiring someone new, right? Hopefully that helps you feel a lil better. (although that's annoying that the employee requested the transfer after it was posted to the public.

Enjoy the weekend!!! (I'm jealous of a weekend away!)