Ummm...Please Don't Steal My Craziness...Okay? Thanks!

People I Love...follow along if you're so inclined!

Thursday, September 5, 2013

My Big Day Off

In the past five years of having twins, I have never ever had a day off. 

A full day off.

Where nothing was really expected of me.

Until today. 

I had off from school and the Crazies did not.

I had some guilt sending them to school when we could have spent the whole day together, but then again...that guilt didn't stick around too long.

I realized I had never had a day off...ever.  Did I mention that?

So, I woke up early to see Husband off...unbeknownst to me, he had turned his alarm off, so I actually woke up early to play games on my phone.

Good times.

Then everyone started to wake up.

The Crazies came in and were psyched to see Daddy.

I was mad that Husband slept in and I was the only one awake for so long.

He sensed my irritation and went downstairs to make breakfast for the Crazies.

I got ready for my day.

I was going to wear regular clothes so they didn't know I was off.  They'd freak if they knew I had off and they didn't.

I dressed casual and told them I had meetings all day.  I was not about to get into work clothes.

I came downstairs and Husband offered to drop them off at school.

I was stunned.

Not that he asked, but I literally didn't know what to do with myself.

They were dressed, fed, and someone besides me was about to transport them.

It was like being in the Twilight Zone.

Anyway, they all piled into Husband's car and they were off.

I shut the front door (without waving good-bye for which I was in trouble later) and just stood there.

I started to plan out my day.

I actually made a list.

The first thing I had to do was go to the grocery store.  I wanted to get there before all the SAHMs and old people.

I went.  I shopped.  I came home.

I didn't say no or talk through clenched teeth once.

I set my timer for 30 minutes and graded papers.

I went to the spin class without feeling guilty that the Crazies were in the Kids Zone.

I dropped off soccer uniforms without explaining why we weren't going inside to see their friends.

I got my car washed.  This was actually pretty boring without the Crazies.

I got a chai latte at S-bucks without yelling at one of them to stop screaming their cake pop order while I'm trying to give my order.

I came home and made an eggplant parmesan without having to hear "I'm not eating that" or " that's GROSS!!"

I walked the dog.

Well, the dog walked me, but whatever.

I talked on the phone with a friend for an entire 30 minutes uninterrupted.

I showered.

I didn't have to explain to anyone why I wasn't drying my hair and making it "all pretty" and just throwing a hat on b/c I was getting my hair cut later on anyway...and who cares?

I graded more papers.

I decided that we were having leftovers for dinner rather than making crabcakes.  I technically didn't mind making the crabcakes, but I had used the last egg for the eggplant and wasn't getting any more until I picked up the CSA...there went the crabcakes.

I picked up our CSA without having to talk to any chickens or alpacas.

I unloaded the CSA without anyone asking for the iPad.

I talked to GG for a bit.

I went to my haircut.

I enjoyed my haircut b/c Husband told me he wanted to pick the Crazies up too...letting me completely off the hook from worrying that I was taking too long and delaying his work out.

He's pretty damn awesome, huh?

I came home to a quiet and empty house again (this is where I started getting a little lonely) because they had opted to go to the gym with Husband.

I watched an entire episode of What Not to Wear.

I graded more papers...seriously, WTF??  LOL!

I realized I hadn't wiped anyone else's ass all day.

I heard them arrive in the driveway being all loud and boisterous.

I was so happy to see them and hear what friends they saw at the gym and hear that Matt has a girlfriend!

I had a great day and I'm glad that I gave it to myself and that I have an awesome husband who took anything remaining off my plate!

What would you do with a true day off??

4 comments:

Shell said...

So relaxing, isn't it?

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Reading this, I wept a little. It sounds fantastic.

I am already planning -- HOPING! -- that I can delay starting back to work by a week or two after the girls start Kindergarten next year. I deserve a few days of nothing! :)

Natasha Carneiro said...

That sounds lovely!! And like you needed that :-). What's up with all the paper though? Frustration relief?

I need a day to clean, a day to organize and a day to spend uninterupted time with loved ones...

Hillary said...

Love this. And your day off was way more productive than what mine usually look like (gym, grade papers, watch Bravo, etc.)!