Ummm...Please Don't Steal My Craziness...Okay? Thanks!

People I Love...follow along if you're so inclined!

Thursday, July 10, 2014

"Only the Good Die Young"

I can't think of a shittier phrase to explain the death of a young man or woman.

It's cliche.

Everyone thinks it or says it at one point, but it does nothing but anger me.

I had a former student pass away from a car accident yesterday.  I also taught his younger sister, so I know the family and the sort of relationships they had.  They were a good family.

He was a good boy.  He was smart, funny, handsome, and just a nice presence to be around.

And he's gone.

I can't wrap my head around it.

I can't stop thinking about his mother waking up this morning.

He should still be here and while it was nothing more than an accident, I still question the "only the good die young" theory.

If they're good, why are they taken?

If they're good, shouldn't they stay with us and make the world better?

What lesson is being taught by taking these "good" people?

I know there are no answers.

There are many difficult parts of being a teacher, but two of the most difficult BY FAR are watching your former student change in ways you never thought imaginable and watching their loss.

I've had students whose parents have committed suicide.

I've had students whose siblings have committed suicide.

I've had students who have been in and out of rehab.

You've got to remember that the oldest students I have that I still keep in touch with are only 24 years old.  That's YOUNG!

Something else that infuriates me about this saying is that a lot of good people die OLD too.

Oh, and some not so great people die young and yet there will be some idiot who say "only the good die young."  It makes no sense.

I don't even know why I'm on this rant today.  I saw this phrase associated with this young man's death and it just set me off.  There is no reason that this world should be without this young man and he was good and he deserved to be here to make us all better.

I'm sure there are people that will also quote "God's plan" on this one, but I just don't get it right now.  I just don't get it.

RIP - MF - I would have liked to see what you could have brought to this world.  May your memory bring peace to your family someday.

2 comments:

Barbara Manatee said...

So sorry about the loss of your student. I can't begin to imagine his parents' grief. A local community here just lost 2 young people, too - 1 girl died in an accident on the 4th and then one young man committed suicide days later. I think they were both between 20 and 22 years old. Its a small town just south of us and the community is shaken. My heart and prayers go out to them all.

The young man was fortunate to have had you as a teacher. Hoping his memory lives on in many of the lives he touched.

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

I'm 100% with you. It's an ignorant phrase.

So sorry about your loss. Sad. :(